12.11.2003

"O Saisons..."

Chilean poet Gonzalo Rojas (b. 1917) has won the Premio Cervantes. He was involved with the grupo Mandrágora in the 1940s. I've read that he lived for a while in Caracas, and I'm also aware of his life-long friendship with Sánchez Peláez. So much more that I must read.

*

Noticed that Louise Varese's translation of A Season in Hell is on the list for Chris's poetry class. I was talking about imitation with C. a few days ago and I realized that most of what I've tried to write, poetry-wise, has been an "imitation" of that marvelous book. And specifically Varese's translation (since I don't know French). Just this excerpt alone is enough to transport me: "O saisons, O chateaux!" Rimbaud's appeal seems endless.

*

Poets that I would like to add, eventually, to Antología:

Hanni Ossot
Yolanda Pantin
Eugenio Montejo
Cintia Desantis
Esdras Parra
Adhely Rivero
Reynaldo Perez So
Ida Gramko
Alfredo Silva Estrada
Yelimar Becerra
Luis Alberto Crespo

*

Jen Hofer's introduction to her anthology of Mexican poetry, Sin puertas visibles, is excellent. As happens with Rimbaud, when I read Dolores Dorantes's poems I feel as though my vision has been amplified. Certain poets remind me that Vision is central. One must struggle to "see," because usually most of us are blind.

*

Even though I am often consumed by anger and negativity, I can't quite understand poets who try to deny Vision. Perry Farrel screams the word in (I think) Ritual de lo Habitual; "Vision!"

No comments: