7.24.2004

Politic  


"Now, yo yo whattup yo, time is running out
It's for real though, let's connect politic - ditto!
We could trade places, get lifted in the staircases"

{ Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, RCA, 1995 }

*

"Between Diction and Dance
I thought I'd call my reading
A middle class voice from a telephone book"

{ John Wieners, "Lisbon Indian Summer," 2000 }

*

"Poetry as ________."

*

"Escribir duele."

*

"LA ANÉCDOTA EN ESTADO PURO"

*

What I know of Tampa is its light, filtered through smog and heat all summer, beyond the reach of any air conditioning.  A Ghost is Born takes time, hopelessly right.  The warehouse (now painted yellow) in Ybor City was next to the Maniscalco Cigar Co.  I spoke with N. who called me from Plaza Venezuela this afternoon while I was upstairs reading, the noise of crowds over his shoulder.  City borne on words.

No comments: