12.18.2008

Ramos Sucre


I’ve written a biography of José Antonio Ramos Sucre for Douglas Messerli’s PIP (Project for Innovative Poetry) blog. The bio includes my translation of a short text by Juan Calzadilla on Ramos Sucre, two poems translated into English by Cedar Sigo and Sara Bilandzija, along with two others in my version. An excerpt from Sigo & Bilandzija:


“Birds flew above to rest further on.

I felt strangled by life. The ghost of a woman, the height of bitterness, followed me with unmistakable steps, a sleepwalker.

The sea frightened my withdrawal, undermining the earth in the secret of night. A breeze confused the trees, blinded the bushes, finished in a tired flower.

The city, worn by time & greeted by a bend in the continent, kept common custom. It told of water vendors & beggars versed in proverbs & advice.”

(“The City,” 5 Poems, Santa Cruz: Blue Press, 2008)

No comments: