9.22.2010

La huella / José Antonio Ramos Sucre

The Trace

A feverish light was traversing the skies on the night of Good Friday.
     I was distinguishing the profiles of a city hidden in the shadow and symbol of a scale of volatile sounds in the penitent silence.
     I had leaned out the window after consigning to a piece of writing the fates of an ideal passion. I was veering the discourse to the case of Dante, to his troubles with love in the chamber of frights and bitterness.
     I was suffering from the fearlessness of my thought. A perverse form was imitating the object of my dissipation and implying with a gesture the view of a torture.
     The tempest, born in some livid mountains, was forcing the tumult of the darkness to escape ahead of itself and scattering the voices of a damned multitude. I spoke among praises the sovereign name, cypher of my desires, and the laconic phantasm slipped away from my presence, leaving in its place a trail of dust.




El cielo de esmalte (1929)




{ José Antonio Ramos Sucre, Obra completa, Caracas: Biblioteca Ayacucho, 1989 }

No comments: