11.24.2010

La pía / José Antonio Ramos Sucre

The Pious Girl

Fear binds my faculties if I think of aridity, oblivion, the magical silence of the fulminated country.
     A slight form was being drawn in the air. It had fallen from a cortège of heroines, imperfect saints, withdrawn in a fatal sky, unequal with the privilege of the nimbus.
     I then came to reconstitute the misadventure of a fervent girl, removed from the century. She died a victim of jealousy, precipitated from a balcony, and I gathered her up off the ground. I have sustained the truth of her innocence.
     A grace, a good beyond the world’s advantages, repays my courage. Her crystalline image succors me during trances of bitterness, divining, from the balcony of her tragedy, dawn’s astounded colors.




El cielo de esmalte (1929)




{ José Antonio Ramos Sucre, Obra completa, Caracas: Biblioteca Ayacucho, 1989 }

No comments: