11.30.2003

"Every day is like Sunday"

Was it from Morrisey's first solo album? Nice reading last night by David Perry, Mike County, and Nick Piombino in Cambridge. Haven't had a chance to read other blogs yet, too much "work" for work to do just now.

Enjoyed talking w/ Mark Lamoureux & hearing poems. Thanks, Nick, for the books. I read your Two Essays last night:

"The truth is what we must repeat. The facts are what we must accept. This is why the truth is poetic and the facts journalistic."

*

This week has been spent listening to Julieta Venegas, (BMG Entertainment, México, 2003).

*

And wondering if Sonic Youth's magnificent song "Schizophrenia" could be read as an allegory:

"I went away to see an old friend of mine
His sister came over she was out of her mind
She said Jesus had a twin who knew nothing about sin
She was laughing like crazy at the trouble I'm in
Her light eyes were dancing she is insane
Her brother says she's just a bitch with a golden chain
She keeps coming closer saying: 'I can feel it in my bones'
Schizophrenia is taking me home

My Future is static
It's already had it
I could tuck you in
And we can talk about it
I had a dream
And it split the scene
But I got a hunch
It's coming back to me"
{Sister, SST Records, 1987}

*

The rest of the week and now, of course, spent thinking about Venezuela, hoping there can be a peaceful transition. I have no energy right now to write about it, but the news I hear is good so far.

*

Reading Elizabeth Schön, Eileen Tabios, and Francisco Pérez Perdomo.

No comments: