1.14.2011

Páramo / Ramón Palomares

Plateau

Fog passed through the peaks,
cloaked with its night,
no bird is seen in the mountains,
no light.
–Sing about why you’re so alone
why you cry,
why’d you join our sadness.

Little mountain string, seven-colored bird,
who’re you singing to,
who’re you telling I love you.

There’s the girl with the big dress,
all she does is cry,
all she does is drink from the mountain.

They tossed holy water
and the wood pigeons died and left
everything covered in feathers.
Oh,
when you’re singing
everything moves, everything turns
to where you sing.
I’ll call you dove, I’ll call you honey,
I’ll say little river stone.

Little mountain string, seven-colored bird:
who’re you telling I love you.




Paisano (1964)




{ Ramón Palomares, Antología poética, Caracas: Monte Ávila Editores, 2004 }

No comments: