11.20.2019

Noche natal / Eugenio Montejo

Native Night

Caracas was further away
than anything I’d ever dreamed of in my nothingness,
that’s why it was night when I arrived
and the streets were deserted,
not a single person;
it was so late the floating dispersed
stones never saw me
being born at the foot of the mountain.
The tallest houses seemed,
to my thirst for space,
so much bigger than my mother.
The moon moved slowly
with a candle in its hands.
The trees were talking to themselves
about the war in Spain.
I was cold,
I was tired from the trip...
And as soon as I arrived I fell asleep
so deeply
I’m still not sure I’ve woken up from that night,
because in the distance
I keep hearing its roosters.

*

Noche natal

Caracas quedaba más lejos
que cuanto yo soñé desde la nada,
por eso al llegar era noche
y las calles estaban desiertas,
sin nadie;
era tan tarde que las piedras
flotando disueltas no me vieron
nacer al pie de la montaña.
Las casas más altas parecían,
para mi sed de espacio,
mucho más grandes que mi madre.
A paso lento iba la luna
con una vela entre las manos.
Los árboles hablaban a solas
de la guerra de España.
Yo tenía frío,
estaba cansado del viaje...
Y apenas llegado me dormí
tan hondamente
que aún no sé si despierto de esa noche,
porque a lo lejos
sigo oyendo sus gallos.




Terredad (1978)




{ Eugenio Montejo, Antología, Caracas: Monte Ávila Editores, 1996 }

No comments: