11.03.2019

Si vuelvo alguna vez / Eugenio Montejo

If I Ever Return

If I ever return
it’ll be for the birdsong.
Not for the trees that will depart with me
or eventually visit me in autumn,
nor by the rivers that, underground,
continue to speak to us with their sharpest voices.
If I finally return corporeal or disembodied,
levitating within myself,
though I won’t hear anything from my absence,
I know my voice will be found beside their choruses
and I’ll return, if I’m meant to return, for them;
what was life within me won’t stop being celebrated,
I will inhabit the most innocent of their cantos.


*


Si vuelvo alguna vez

Si vuelvo alguna vez
será por el canto de los pájaros.
No por los árboles que han de partir conmigo
o irán después a visitarme en el otoño,
ni por los ríos que, bajo tierra,
siguen hablándonos con sus voces más nítidas.
Si al fin regreso corpóreo o incorpóreo,
levitando en mí mismo,
aunque ya nada logre oír desde la ausencia,
sé que mi voz se hallará al lado de sus coros
y volveré, si he de volver, por ellos;
lo que fue vida en mí no cesará de celebrarse,
habitaré el más inocente de sus cantos.




Trópico absoluto (1982)




{ Eugenio Montejo, Antología, Caracas: Monte Ávila Editores, 1996 }

No comments: