9.16.2018

Casi un país (2) / Elizabeth Schön

Almost A Country (2)

     Juan is my friend and he has such black and such large eyes that it’s impossible for the sun to ever make them fade one day.
     I met him one afternoon, he didn’t ask my name, he stood there observing me, quietly, calmly; he contemplated the mountains through the windowpanes, with the multitude of houses spread around them: hats the wind would have tossed. I told him my name was Lucía and with a soft, tender voice he began to repeat it, as though I’d told him the name of a continent, a lake, a forest he was anxious to observe.

*

Casi un país (2)

     Juan es mi amigo y tiene unos ojos tan negros y tan grandes que es imposible que el sol, algún día, se los pueda desteñir.
     Lo conocí una tarde, no preguntó por mi nombre, se quedó mirándome, quieto, tranquilo; contemplaba a través de los vidrios de la ventana, las montañas con la multitud de casas esparcidas: sombreros que el viento hubiese lanzado. Le dije que me llamaba Lucía y él con voz suave, tierna, empezó a repetirlo, igual a si dijera el nombre de algún continente, de algún lago, de un bosque que estaba ansioso de mirar.




1972




Translator’s note: English version originally published in Typo, issue 18 (2013).




{ Elizabeth Schön, Antología poética, Caracas: Monte Ávila Editores, 1998 }

No comments: