9.23.2018

Casi un país (3) / Elizabeth Schön

Almost A Country (3)

     He said we’d go see different places in Caracas today. He didn’t explain which ones. Whatever place we might visit, we’ll find something beautiful. I don’t think ugliness exists; if it does, it is surely the result of there not being enough clarity to appreciate the streets, the sharpness of the colors, the patience of the breeze that knocks on the large wooden doors until they open making a sound very close to the one that arises if you write on an old, worn chalkboard, with many cracks.
     I approach the window. A yellow leaf falls on my shoulder. I like it, it has the same color as my dress. I’ll save it in one of my books, I feel as though everything that looks like me or my things belongs to me.
     The sun announces that Juan is coming to pick me up. We will soon walk together. We will see streets, buildings, plazas, churches and in every corner, every bend, I will discover a detail, a blade of grass I have never seen before, and I will immediately recall the first day they gave me a hobby horse and I told myself I would ride him through all the cities in the world. The horse broke but now I have a friend and together we will get to know each one of this city’s houses, with names like the sound the waterfall makes when it pours from the highest point of the mountain.

*

Casi un país (3)

     Me dijo que hoy iríamos a conocer distintos lugares de Caracas. No me explicó cuáles podrían ser. Cualquiera que sea el sitio que visitemos, encontraremos algo hermoso. No creo que exista la fealdad; si la hay, seguramente se debe a que no hubo suficiente claridad para apreciar en las calles, la vivacidad de los colores, la paciencia de la brisa que toca los portones hasta que se abren haciendo un ruido muy parecido al que surge si se escribe sobre un pizarrón viejo, gastado, con muchas roturas.
     Me acerco a la ventana. Una hoja amarilla cae sobre mi hombro. Me gusta, tiene el mismo color de mi vestido. La guardaré en uno de mis libros, todo lo que se parece a mí o a mis cosas siento que me pertenece.
     El sol anuncia que Juan viene a visitarme. Pronto caminaremos juntos. Veremos calles, plazas, iglesias y en cada esquina, recodo descubriré un detalle, una brizna, que nunca había visto, y en seguida recordaré el primer día que me regalaron un caballo de madera y me dije que en él cabalgaría a través de todas las ciudades del mundo. El caballo se rompió pero ahora tengo un amigo y junto conoceremos cada una de las casas de esta ciudad con sus nombres semejantes al sonido de la cascada cuando se vierte desde lo más alto de la montaña.




1972




{ Elizabeth Schön, Antología poética, Caracas: Monte Ávila Editores, 1998 }

No comments: